Pages

Tuesday 11 January 2011

Let me explain...

Ok, so let's get this out of the way first.. My business name is Ballderdash & Bunting. Sorry, what was that? Did you say 'That's not how you spell balderdash'? No, you're right, it's not. It's how you spell Ballderdash. This is how it came about...

About a year ago, I was invited to a friend's house for an afternoon of card making and tea. We spent a lovely afternoon on the floor of her 'making room' cutting, sticking and creating while our children slept on the floor around us (oh the joys of having small immobile  babies!). In the days and weeks that followed I began to think that perhaps I could make a little pocket money from making my own cards. Around the same time, I had started to bake a lot (another luxury of maternity leave), then I was asked to make a wedding cake for a friend and thought perhaps I could make some extra cash that way too! I sold a few cards at an Easter Fair and when I returned to work part time, I sold them there too. To my surprise, they sold quite well and I started to think about a business name. I can't even remember any of the other ideas now, but Ballderdash stood out. It was suggested by a friend of mine (whose first language isn't even English, which makes this even more clever), who noticed that I signed my cards B.Allder. So there we go, Ballderdash was born. I wanted an 'and' name, just because I like how they sound, and when my mum, who is the other creative input in the business, made bunting one day, the name stuck.

So, now you know why I spell Ballderdash with a double l, because I am Ballderdash! Nobody boycotts the toy company who write their r the wrong way round, so I'm sure that it won't offend too many people enough to put them off buying our products... oh yes, that has been suggested by a few hardcore pedants!

I hope not to bore you with too much writing. A picture paints a thousand words as they say, so to whet your appetite and hopefully get you coming back for more, here are some gorgeous mini cupcakes I've been working on...

Lemon drizzle in a white chocolate case.

No comments:

Post a Comment